More Info

For information on admissions, please submit your name and email address and degree interest.


How to Contribute

Give to the School

Course Waivers

1. There will be no credit hour reduction for any previously taken courses used to earn a bachelor degree. Every student must complete 48 credit hours. A student may transfer a maximum of 6 graduate credit hours if the advisor decides that the courses are substantially relevant to urban planning.

2. An instructor who teaches a required planning course can waive this course requirement if a student has previously taken equivalent undergraduate or graduate courses, such as methods. This waiver will not reduce the 48 credit hour requirement for the MUP degree. Also, the student is still responsible for completing the comprehensive exam for all course subjects. UBPL 763, UBPL 815, and UBPL 850 cannot be waived.

3. If a student has transferred from another program offering an MUP degree accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board (PAB), the student receives full credit for those courses, and these credit hours are reduced from the 48-hour requirement up to 24 hours if there is an equivalent course in the program.

4. Foreign students can enroll for the minimum number of credit hours (UBPL 701: Directed Readings) per semester by working for a planning agency or consulting firm so that they can be paid for their work. The Immigration and Naturalization Service will not allow payment for work unless college credit is given. This credit will not count toward fulfilling MUP degree requirements.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies and is the University’s Title IX Coordinator: the Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.