More Info

For information on admissions, please submit your name and email address and degree interest.


How to Contribute

Give to the School

Academic Requirements for Urban Planning


All courses leading to the master's degree must be taken at the University of Kansas, except that up six hours of graduate credit may be transferred and applied to a program leading to the master's degree, subject to approval by the Program Chair. Eight hours may be approved for transfer if the student holds a baccalaureate degree from the University of Kansas. Transfer credit is only given for courses in which the final grade was A or B.


The grading system in the Graduate School is an A, B, C, D, F system, where A designates above-average graduate work; B, average graduate work; C, passing but below average graduate work; D and F, failing graduate work. The suffixes + and - are used and counted in grade point averages. Upon falling below a cumulative graduate grade-point average of B (3.0), the student may be placed on probation or dismissed from the Program. At the end of the next semester of enrollment, the student's overall graduate average must be raised to a B (in which case the student is returned to regular status) or a departmental recommendation will be required for the student to continue in graduate study.


To complete requirements for the master's degree, a student must present a record of 48 credit hours with a grade point average of at least 3.0. All required Planning courses must be included in this calculation.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies and is the University’s Title IX Coordinator: the Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.